Sunday, December 11, 2011

Pichilemu Part 2

I'm back in Santiago after a much needed mini vacation.

The second half of my time in Pichilemu was just as relaxing as the first.  It turns out most of the people left the hostel on Friday, so there were only 4 of us and Oliver (the hostel owner) there that night.  After my last update I went back and relaxed at the hostel, and we got the idea to play Jenga and cards.

I have to confess that I'm not the best with my hands, but this turned out to be one of the most epic games of Jenga I've ever played.  It was a girl from Germany, Zack, and me.  As you can tell from the pictures, the tower got pretty high.  Zack and I fist pumped our way to victory.  (Hey, we're both from Jersey and people at the hostel couldn't resist bringing up Jersey Shore, especially since Zack surfs).








The rest of the night was spent playing Rummy and me cracking bad jokes.  Actually some of them were pretty funny, and we had some good laughs.

On Saturday the plan was to be out the door by 8:30 to get to Punta de Lobos (a nearby beach with good surfing) in order to enjoy the early waves and beat the crowds of surfers.  I was up early, but no one else was.  After making some breakfast I went back to sleep.  We ended up leaving the hostel around 11 and got a taxi there.  It was cloudy and overcast for a while, but then the sun came out.  Zack surfed while I explored the area and then listened to music on the beach, and then we got a colectivo back around 4 or so.






The afternoon was spent wandering around the town, enjoying some fresh fruit juice, and then relaxing back at the hostel.  Zack and Stefani (a girl from Denmark) made an amazing dish of rice, beef, and vegetables for dinner, and we sat around and talked the night away.  Of course I was making bad jokes all along the way, but they were actually laughing.





I got the bus back this morning, and I was really grateful for the trip.  While the hostel didn't have common amenities like an included breakfast or towels or a computer for internet, it was a cozy place to stay with a friendly and helpful hostel owner.  Its small size of only 12 beds really contributes to the feeling of community.  I hadn't played cards or Jenga like that in a long time, and sitting around talking with people and smiling and laughing so much was such an enjoyable experience.  I didn't spend a lot of money on the trip (and I did eat out a few nights), and I'm so glad that I gave myself this mini vacation.

No comments:

Post a Comment