Sunday, July 7, 2013

Happy 4th of July!

So I arrived safe and sound back in the States just in time for the 4th of July.

I had an overnight flight from Santiago to Dallas, and then a connecting flight into Philadelphia.  I got to the airport early to avoid traffic, and I also wanted to be early in case of any long lines with other people going on vacation.  I got through in about half an hour, so I had plenty of time to kill before boarding.  

The first flight was pretty uneventful, but something interesting happened.  The woman sitting next to me on the first flight also came down to Santiago with TeachingChile, and she was also going back for a winter/summer vacation.  We got to talking about our experiences, and it turns out we have some friends in common.  It's a small world.

After we landed and got through security, we parted ways.  I got some breakfast at TGIF Friday's and took the chance to charge my electronics.  We got in about an hour later than expected, so I had about 40 minutes before my next flight started boarding.  



I landed around 1:30 on the 4th of July.  On the way home I got a pizza steak from Wawa (I love that place!) for lunch, and we relaxed at home for a few hours.  Then we decided to give the economy some stimulation and did some shopping at Walmart.  After getting home we watched the fireworks on TV, and I was out like a light by 10.

For those of you that aren't familiar with American culture, this was not a typical 4th of July.  A more traditional 4th of July would include a barbecue with hot dogs and hamburgers, chips and apple pie, and perhaps some alcohol. 

My time home has been pretty low key so far.  I've done some shopping for school supplies to bring back with me (back to school sales have already started!), and I've gotten a prescription filled for new glasses and also renewed my driver's license.  My dad had a small barbecue yesterday, and today I got a true gringo breakfast at Denny's and some Coldstone's ice cream as a treat.  I won't bore you with the pictures, as most of you have seen them before.

I'm glad to be back home.  I'm certainly accustomed to the Santiago winter, as this is my fourth winter there.  That doesn't mean that I like it.  

On the other side of the coin, this has been my first summer home in the States since 2009 (before I left for Chile).  When I wake up and get dressed in the morning I need to remind myself that it's summer here and to dress accordingly.

I'm looking forward to spending my time at home catching up with family and friends and squeezing as much summer fun out of my time home as possible before I return to Santiago on the 19th.

Oh yeah, and remember that skydiving that I did last week?  I just got an email from them that the plane was in an accident when landing after a rainy day, and that all jumps and courses have been suspended until further notice.

That's all for now.  I hope everyone had a Happy 4th, no matter where you celebrated.  And for the Canadian readers, Happy Belated Canada Day!

4 comments:

  1. Glad you're home safe and sound. Haha I've never been to Wawa's but after all of Robs accolades and now yours, I think I might need a trip out there just to try it! That's so scary about the plane you were in! Glad your third time was a charm (and didn't get delayed again for that rainy day)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Britt! Yes, you should definitely check out a Wawa if you get the chance. Luckily no one was injured with the plane.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Denny's, TGIF and Coldstone's ice cream ... I'm homesick already. Glad you made it home okay and that you had a chance to enjoy the 4th of July.

    Regarding the skydiving plane: Looks like you got lucky doing your jump when you did.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is nice being home for a short while. The only downside is that I will have to get back to eating healthy when I'm back as well as get back into the gym routine. As for the plane, I'm glad it worked out for me and that no one was injured.

    ReplyDelete